Saturday, February 19, 2011

What does the Wisconsin State Journal Really Think?

When I was growing up in Madison, we had a liberal paper and a conservative paper. My parents subscribed to both along with numerous subscriptions to at least 2-4 other national newspapers. Well, we all know what has happened to the "newspaper" industry and the state of news reporting here in Wisconsin. However, as painful as it has become, I still enjoy sitting down and reading a paper newspaper. We really have one traditional newspaper left in Madison in the form of the Wisconsin State Journal. It urks me that the paper that now complains about sending back $800 million for rail, or the speed in which Walker is moving the budget repair bill through the legislature, is the same paper that endorsed Scott Walker. Did they simply hope that he was going to be a liar? Many businesses in this state are unwilling to pay any taxes, and others like the state journal fail to see how cuts in compensation in the range of 8-10% will impact their business. I decided its time to send them a message. On 2-13-2011, I sent the following note to the circulation desk at the Wisconsin State Journal:

As a public employee, my total compensation will be going down about 8.5% as early as May 1. Since the WSJ endorsed Scott Walker and his policies, I would kindly ask you to reduce the rate of my subscription by 8.5% effective May 1, 2011. If you are unable to provide that discount, please cancel my subscription effective May 1, 2011. Thank you for your consideration, xxxxxx,xxxxxx


On 2-17 I received the following response from Wisconsin State Journal editor John Smiley:

Very sorry to learn of your decision to cancel the paper. I find it puzzling that someone who cares so passionately about this issue -- as you obviously do -- would choose to remove himself from the primary source of coverage and information about the topic. Nobody can come close to covering this issue the way we can, and we truly see the work as part of our public service.

I'm not in charge of discounts for the paper but I can certainly ask for one on your behalf. I'll check with the circulation director on your request. I'm wondering, though, if you're going to ask for a refund from the Middleton school district, since your teachers there walked out on the job today. Shouldn't you, as a taxpayer, get a refund for that? Or maybe from Senate Democrats, who fled their jobs and went to Illinois today to avoid voting on the bill? Using your logic, shouldn't you get some sort of a tax refund from them, too?


I'm sorry to know that you don't see enough value in the newspaper to continue your subscription. But if it's a discount that you need to keep reading, I'll work on that for you.


Best wishes,


John Smalley


Editor


Wisconsin State Journal


"By my logic"? Are you kidding me? By my logic, Scooter Walker owes me a refund for the $800 million he sent back to Washington for the train. Or the $23 million in ARRA BTOP funds for broadband that was returned this week. By my logic, the teachers and fleeing democrats are attempting to delay the process and apply some critical thinking. The teachers don't owe me anything. They have to teach 180 days and it doesn't matter to me if that is today or at some other time. The Dems are doing the only thing they can do that does what the State Journal has asked for.....slow the process down. The point is they, and other businesses supported this man who chooses to use authority rather then show leadership. It's further damaging my buying power that forces me to make decisions about what I want and what I can afford. I can no longer afford paying for a service that simply adds to my aggravation. I think it is the WSJ that owes me a refund, because I am cancelling my subscription effective Monday. Consider writing your "Dear John" letter today.


No comments:

Post a Comment